3 Essential Items To Have In Your Home Apothecary

While modern medications can be beneficial in treating a variety of illnesses, many people are trying to reduce their reliance on pharmaceuticals. Before the introduction of modern medicine, people capitalized on the various healing properties of plants to help them feel better. If you want to supplement your own pharmaceutical intake with all-natural remedies, here are three essential items to keep stocked in your home apothecary.

1. Fresh Aloe Vera

Used by humans for over 5,000 years, the aloe vera plant is known for its wide range of healing properties. The leaves of an aloe vera plant are filled with a gel-like substance that is 99% water. The remaining 1% is packed with proteins and vitamins that allow the aloe vera to act as an adaptogen, which helps your body resist illness, and a vulnerary, which helps the body heal wounds. Having a fresh aloe vera plant growing at all times is a must for any well-stocked home apothecary. 

2. Comfrey Leaf

Although comfrey leaf has received mixed reviews when it comes to internal use, most apothecaries believe this plant to be safe for external use. Commonly referred to as a "knit-bone," comfrey leaf can actually speed the healing process for broken bones and other wounds. This is because the comfrey plant is packed with vitamin C and calcium, which are both substances known to play a vital role in the healing process. Comfrey leaf can be ground into a poultice and applied externally to any area where you are experiencing pain.

3. Mint Leaves

Mint is actually one of a group of 15-20 types of plants more broadly referred to as mentha. These plants have incredible healing powers and make a great addition to any home apothecary. Fresh mint leaves can be chewed to help aid in better digestion and reduce the effects of an upset stomach.

Mint also contains the antioxidant rosmarinic acid, which has been shown to help alleviate the symptoms associated with seasonal allergies. If you find yourself suffering with a stuffy nose or a buildup of phlegm in your respiratory tract, mint acts as a natural decongestant due to the menthol it contains. Adding mint to your home apothecary gives you access to a versatile plant that can treat a variety of illnesses.

Starting a home apothecary can be overwhelming for many people, so hop over to this website to learn about the most important items (like fresh aloe vera, comfrey leaf, and mint leaves). If you stock these kinds of things in your medicine cabinet, you will be on your way to creating a simple, yet effective, home apothecary in the near future.

About Me